AHL Today is a roundup of the night that was, the day ahead, and anything you may have missed. Your quick look at what’s going on around the league.
- CHICAGO at ROCHESTER: Rochester puts its four-game winning streak on the line when they take on the Wolves. Over their last four games, the Amerks have outscored their opponents 16-8. The tandem of Nathan Lieuwen and Matt Hackett have been formidable for Rochester. The teams haven’t faced each other this season, but they’re meeting each other as they both start to roll. Chicago is on a two game streak of its own. Should be a great game. Of note, the Amerks will be without top point-getter Phil “Don’t Call Me Joe” Varone who is up with the Buffalo Sabres.
- SAN ANTONIO at TEXAS: The Stars host the Rampage at home, where they’re 21-3-0-3 against San Antonio in the last five years. Texas has picked up a point in each of the seven contests between the two teams so far this season, and a single point will draw them into a tie for first place in the West. Texas will still be without goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp, so expect Josh Robinson to get the call. The last time the two teams met was Dec. 28, when the Stars walked away with a 5-2 victory.
- LAKE ERIE 3, UTICA 2 (SO): Benn Ferriero continued his hot streak, picking up a goal and an assist, but it wasn’t enough as the Comets dropped the game to the Monsters in a shootout. Calvin Pickard picked up the win for the Monsters, making thirty saves and stopping every shot in skills competition. Joey Hishon’s shootout tally proved to be the winner.
- CHARLOTTE at NORFOLK (ppd.): Due to weather, the Admirals and Checkers had their tilt postponed to March 4.
(Moves, news, and notes after the jump.)
Scott Greenham (G) To: Elmira Jackals
Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Matt Donovan (D) To: New York Islanders
Matt Lowry (F) To: Evansville Icemen
Parker Milner (G) To: Stockton Thunder
Grand Rapids Griffins
Travis Novak (F) To: Toledo Walleye
Alden Hirschfeld (F) To: Toledo Walleye
Jared Coreau (G) To: Toledo Walleye
Louis Leblanc (F) From: Montréal Canadiens
Ryan Stoa (F) To: Washington Capitals
Oklahoma City Barons
Tyler Bunz (G) From: Bakersfield Condors
Chet Pickard (G) To: Bakersfield Condors
Austin Fyten (F) From: Idaho Steelheads
Zach Trotman (D) From: Boston Bruins
Ryan Spooner (F) From: Boston Bruins
Tim Miller (F) From: Evansville Icemen
Pat Nagle (G) From: Idaho Steelheads
Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins
Harrison Ruopp (D) To: Wheeling Nailers
Nick D’Agostino (D) To: Wheeling Nailers
News & Notes:
- The PostStar reported that a decision on the future of AHL hockey in Glens Falls could be decided as soon as the second week of February. Glen Falls mayor John Diamond said they’ve yet to get a commitment from a team. If a team isn’t in Glens Falls next season, there will be talks about getting a franchise in there by 2015-16. [PostStar]
- The Texas Stars are still without goaltender Christopher Nilstorp, who went down last week against the Iowa Stars. Sean Shapiro spoke with Nilstorp, who said he’s feeling better but not quite there yet. [Wrong Side of the Red Line]
- Speaking of Nilstorp, stumbled across this fantastic piece of fan art from Diana Rahmkvist.
— Diana Rahmkvist (@Goalie_Bitch) January 23, 2014